Standards Turn Foes into Friends
Robert Regis Hyle | August 12, 2014
It’s always enlightening to speak with independent insurance agents—and even carriers—about the issues that matter the most to them in their partnership. Both sides usually agree with what the other is saying, but problems arise when they try to reach an accord on how the issues should be resolved.
Not all issues are technology based, but most of them have, at the minimum, a need for technology teams to be involved in the solution. Unfortunately, that solution often is created by the carrier’s IT team and with it comes the word standards backers detest: proprietary.
Having hundreds of different mousetraps may have been the American way at one point in time, but the subtle differences in some of these proprietary solutions leave many in the industry wondering how different companies can come up with such similar solutions.
ACORD and others have put up the good fight for standards for decades and the latest effort—single sign-on for agencies—appears to be gaining momentum. This is an important step in the relationship between insurance carriers, not just between carriers and agencies.
Its value carries beyond ease of business for the agencies. It also frees up time for carriers to no longer deal with customer service calls from their agency partners to reset IDs and passwords. Depending on whom you speak with, that can be a minor annoyance or a major aggravation. Most carriers look at it as the latter.
The enemy of my friend may indeed be my enemy and the enemy of my enemy quite likely is my friend, but doesn’t this get just too confusing? No one is asking carriers to disclose their trade secrets, but connectivity issues between partners don’t need to be trade secrets. They are good business.
How about this: The friend of my friend is my friend. It would be a simpler world if we could all agree on that.
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Claim Central Consolidated improves U.S. Insurer Choice in Digital Claims Fulfillment Technology
- Global Insurance Accelerator Welcomes Largest Cohort
- Roost® Adds Smart Garage Door Sensor to Suite of Home Telematics Solutions for Insurance Partners
- Premium Insurance Finance Company SIUPREM Selects One, Inc. as Payment Processing and Digital Engagement Solution
- Sapiens Announces that Equitable Life of Canada Selects StoneRiver’s LifeSuite®
- Insurer IT Groups Rely on IT Services Providers, but Needs are Evolving; Novarica Profiles 41 Vendors
- NATIXIS CHOOSES GUIDEWIRE CORE AND DIGITAL PRODUCTS TO STRENGTHEN CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Xceedance Appoints Travis MacMillian Chief Business Officer
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
The core systems replacement cycle is speeding up. Twenty years ago, even if you spent your entire career working at the same insurance company, you... READ MORE
- Partner News