Study Shows Collision Avoidance Systems Can Decrease Accidents by 40 percent
Staff Writer | May 02, 2014
Nearly 3,400 people die on the world's roads every day. Can technology help prevent this top-10 leading cause of death?
In 2013, Israel‘s Ministry of Finance commissioned Ron Actuarial Intelligence to investigate the effectiveness of collision avoidance systems (CAS), an auto-safety system designed to reduce accidents. The preliminary results are striking: Insurance claim frequency dropped by approximately 44 percent for privately owned vehicles equipped with CAS compared to those without. The study used software from business analytics leader SAS with MIA Computers.
CAS systems use radar and sometimes laser and camera sensors to detect an imminent crash. They then either warn the driver or act autonomously without any driver input by braking, steering or both.
The research examined data from the Ministry of Finance and the Statistical Database of the Vehicle Sector in Israel, which includes insurance claims data since 1985 from all insurance companies in Israel. Ron-AI analyzed the influence of FCW (forward collision warning) and LDW (lane departure warning) on bodily injury insurance claims frequency and costs in Israel. The model eliminated the impact of all other factors on claims frequency in order to derive the net impact of CAS on claims.
"In this preliminary research, we detect dramatic results that can reduce the price of insurance for CAS-equipped vehicles up to 15 percent,” says Ron Shachar, CEO and chief actuary of Ron-AI. “Research shows that these systems can reduce the number of accidents and save lives. SAS was a key tool for our analytics, based on the software’s data mining and analysis capabilities, along with the company's leadership in global technological and professional innovations."
Kobi Bitter, CEO of MIA Computers, added, "The wise use of analytical tools is a powerful strategy in re-inventing the world of business by improving profitability, reducing costs to customers, and as we have seen in this case, safeguarding human life.”
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- InsuredMine Announces Launch of New Consumer Insurance Management App
- CSAA Insurance Group Selects EIS Group’s Digital Experience Platform
- Bankers Insurance Selects Roost® for Home Telematics Solution
- New Study of More than 100 Insurers Finds Emerging Tech Deployment Still Rare, But Poised for Growth in 2018 and Beyond
- The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group Selects Guidewire Products to Transform Core Operation, Data, and Analytics Capabilities
- Claim Central Consolidated improves U.S. Insurer Choice in Digital Claims Fulfillment Technology
- Global Insurance Accelerator Welcomes Largest Cohort
- Roost® Adds Smart Garage Door Sensor to Suite of Home Telematics Solutions for Insurance Partners
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
The core systems replacement cycle is speeding up. Twenty years ago, even if you spent your entire career working at the same insurance company, you... READ MORE
- Partner News