SunGard Poll Discovers Changes in Actuarial Risk Modeling Practices
Staff Writer | October 23, 2014
SunGard released the results of a survey on actuarial risk modeling in North America, which highlights increased demand among insurance carriers for sophisticated solutions as traditional spreadsheet models lack the rigor and governance required by today’s actuarial practices.
“Only half of U.S. insurers use formal modeling controls and over one third manually source data,” says CEB TowerGroup research director Sam Stuckal. “Actuarial risk modeling is often done on spreadsheets, which has become more complicated over time with minimal documentation and automation, and a high degree of customization. With today’s evolving risk landscape, more interconnected and volatile financial markets, and tighter regulation, insurers have an opportunity to leverage configurable actuarial systems that can manage financial risk while minimizing operational risk.”
The survey asked 40 North American life and non-life insurers to provide feedback on the key business drivers leading to change in how they make technology decisions. Respondents included actuaries, actuary department heads, chief risk officers, and other senior executives.
Key findings of the report include:
- 46 percent said the chief actuary either makes the final decision or leads a selection committee to acquire actuarial modeling technology
- More than 70 percent of respondents indicate that they would benefit from a single platform for both valuations and projections
- 40 percent report they use spreadsheets or internally-developed systems to perform financial projections, and 31 percent use them to perform valuations
- 21 percent say they plan to enhance their actuarial modeling capabilities within the next 12 to 24 months
“The traditional role of the actuary is changing from that of a number-cruncher to a trusted advisor and contributor to strategic decision making,” says Bill Diaz, president of SunGard’s insurance business. “This role change is in a perfect storm with regulatory pressures, causing insurers to place greater emphasis on data and process governance, risk transparency and compliance, and improving the speed, accuracy and efficiency of their actuarial modeling tools. By centralizing data, models and workflows, leveraging business intelligence, and adopting cloud-based solutions, insurance carriers in North America can better position themselves for profitability and growth.”
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Lucens Group Announces Corporate Name Change to Claimify to Reflect Commitment to its Software Platform
- The Co-operators Drives Innovative Claims Process with Guidewire InsurancePlatform Cloud-Based Predictive Analytics System
- Insurance Technologies Releases FireLight® e-Delivery to Seamlessly Automate the Delivery of All Insurance and Retirement Policies and Documents
- Global IQX API Unleashes Wealth of Data for Employee Benefits Insurers
- Survey: Millennial business owners most likely generation to work with insurance agents
- Duck Creek Technologies Reports 85% Bookings Growth and 30% Revenue Growth in SaaS-Delivered Enterprise Software Solutions for Fiscal Year 2018
- Optimum General Selects Guidewire InsurancePlatform for Core Operations
- Blue Cod Technologies Announces Corporate Name Change to Activer Solutions
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE