Survey Reveals ‘Innovate or Die’ Mentality Among Insurance Agencies
Staff Writer | October 17, 2014
Vertafore announces the results of its survey, “How Independent P&C Insurance Agencies Are Thriving in Today’s Competitive Marketplace.” The key takeaway reveals a widening gap among agencies, with 70 percent of large agencies “very optimistic” about future growth, compared to only 25 percent of small agencies. The survey was conducted in partnership with analyst firm, Aite Group.
Primary contributors to the findings included increasing commoditization and reliance on personal lines, such as auto insurance, and limited technology adoption among smaller agencies. In fact, although personal auto insurance sales represent a majority of small agency revenues, 39 percent of respondents noted their businesses have not made or do not expect to make any changes to combat the direct-to-carrier shift.
Despite these challenges, the survey identified multiple growth opportunities as nearly 50 percent of fast growing agencies invest in advanced technologies, diversify into fast-growing lines such as cyber-liability insurance, and expand strategic partnerships with carriers.
“Our primary goal for conducting this survey was to delve deeper into the current state of the independent agency market and get a better understanding of what factors are driving or inhibiting growth,” says Todd Eyler, research director at Aite Group. “What we found is that the agencies that are thriving are those that recognize the profitability, scalability, and agility that technology can bring to the table. Findings from the survey can be used as a playbook for agencies working to bridge the growth gap by finding profitable solutions to counteract disruptive industry changes.”
Aite conducted the survey among 194 U.S.-based property & casualty independent insurance agencies between August and September 2014. The research was conducted independently with no influence from Vertafore on the findings. The following strategies identified by the survey have been consistently adopted by fast-growing agencies to overcome industry challenges in an increasingly competitive insurance landscape.
Diverse Product Lines, New Markets Key to Growth
According to recent McKinsey research, 28 percent of consumers purchase auto insurance directly from carriers, compared to 13 percent who purchase directly from agents. This increase in commoditization of personal auto insurance has placed a heavy burden on agencies (particularly smaller ones with less than $1 million in revenue), where personal lines often account for 80 percent or more of their sales.
To help offset the decrease in sales of personal insurance, 44 percent of all agencies have diversified into new coverage and product types including, homeowners insurance, commercial lines, and emerging markets such as, cyber liability, identity theft protection, and worksite insurance products. These strategic product lines are providing agents with more opportunity to deliver value in poorly understood product areas. Findings supporting the trend of diversification include:
• Large agencies often utilize a higher percentage of commercial package and property insurance than small agencies. Large and mid-sized agencies often comprise at least 41 percent of total annual sales. Small agencies utilized less, according to the report.
• Homeowners insurance is helping drive growth in agencies of all sizes. 58 percent of agencies of all sizes have experienced growth in homeowner’s insurance sales over the last 24 months.
• Among the new product lines, cyber liability insurance is emerging as a fast growth offering, with 50 percent of large agencies reporting an increase in sales for this type of coverage over the last 24 months.
Customer Engagement, Self-Service Technology
Despite the slowdown in commoditized product lines, fast-growing agencies that invested in customer service initiatives are experiencing positive results. Agencies of all sizes cited better customer service (50 percent) and improved cross selling (49 percent) as important drivers of growth in personal lines insurance. Similarly, nearly half of all agencies reporting fast growth (47 percent) have deployed advanced customer self-service capabilities on their websites including, chat, video conferencing, and mobile.
Strategic Partnerships with Carriers for Analytics, Marketing
In addition to product line diversification and customer self-service capabilities, Aite found an increasing number of large agencies forging partnerships with carriers as a means of gaining access to their marketing and technology capabilities. Nearly two- thirds (63 percent) of large agencies have partnered with insurance companies to access their full range of marketing management tools, while 56 percent are partnering to leverage their predictive analytics capabilities and build more targeted prospect lists.
The benefits are twofold: Insurance companies are able to market new, valued-added products in a more localized and personal manner, while agencies increase efficiency and engagement with customers as a result of access to advanced technology.
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Unique partnership between VMSolution and FRISS enables fast claims process
- Roost Joins the IoT Insurance Observatory
- Appalachian Underwriters launches world-class billing and payments offering (through Input 1)
- National Life Transforms Customer Experience Program with Cognizant
- Insurers Driving Real, Measurable Value from Digital Investments
- Insurers Embracing Digital Claims Payments, Says Novarica
- Majesco and DataRobot Partner to Bring Integrated AI/Machine Learning with Majesco Solutions to Customers and the Insurance Industry
- Stonetrust Commercial Insurance Selects Insurity’s Cloud-hosted ‘Workers’ CompXPress Suite’ to Improve Operations and Customer Experience
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE