Targeting the Mobile Customer in Insurance
Robert Regis Hyle | March 31, 2015
The fact that more people use mobile devices to connect to the Internet shouldn’t surprise anyone, but if you sit back for a minute and contemplate that change in our lifestyle it takes on even greater magnitude.
The mobile world reached that tipping point in 2014, but it doesn’t seem too long ago that a co-worker showed me her first iPhone. It was 2007 to be exact and what seemed like a novelty to slow adopters such as myself has created a culture change that once upon a time might have taken decades. Today it takes a few short years.
Even though we once thought of laptops as mobile devices, they are more like desktops in today’s world and offer a completely different user experience for the world. The frustrations when you encounter a website that is not mobile-enabled make us wonder how such a company is still in business if they don’t respect their customers enough to offer such important customer service options.
In an article that will be published in the April edition of ITA Pro magazine, Mark Breading, a partner with the research and advisory firm Strategy Meets Action, reports that improving the customer experience is the number one strategic initiative for insurers today and the top technology to improve customer experience is mobile. About half of all insurers have some major project underway in either traditional web or mobile web service.
Mobile users operate differently than even those that enjoy doing business on a desktop. The devices aren’t made to scroll through lengthy puff pieces about how wonderful your company is. Mobile users want to get down to business right away and complete their transaction.
“A lot of insurers look at it the wrong way. They want to present marketing materials first, and they are concerned that their site looks pretty. However, the consumer doesn’t care if the site is pretty, and they don’t want to wade through a bunch of sales content just to get to the functionality they came for,” says Karen Pauli, research director at CEB TowerGroup.
Pauli reports TowerGroup studies show 85 percent of consumers will abandon the mobile channel if they can’t get what they want quickly.
The world isn’t just changing; it has already changed. Mobility may not be king yet, but it is getting closer every day and our days seem to be moving a lot faster than they did back in the analog days.
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Sapiens DECISION Recognized as a “Hot Vendor in Digital Business Platforms, 2017”
- DATAMATX Announces Prelude Software as New Solutions Partner
- Quadient Appoints Christian Hartigan President and General Manager of the Americas
- Gibraltar BSN Life Berhad Selects Majesco Distribution Management and Majesco Digital Solutions
- Desjardins General Insurance Group Deploys EIS Suite for Commercial Lines
- Acuity Modernizes Customer Communications Management with OpenText Exstream and ValueMomentum
- COUNTRY Financial Joins Roost’s Home Telematics Program
- Roost partners with The Weather Company
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views