The Digitalization of Insurance Comes Home to Roost
Frank Petersmark | May 10, 2016
At the recent Digital Insurance Conference in Austin, I had the opportunity to moderate two panels that highlighted the different perspectives on disruption that digitalization is having on different segments of the industry.
The first panel was with a sitting CIO and a former CIO in the P&C industry, and their collective perspectives can best be characterized as those of the disruptees, as compared to the disruptors. I spoke to many carrier people at the conference, and almost all of them acknowledged the new reality of the macro trends that are impacting the industry, most particularly the digitalization of the insurance industry.
That’s the easy part. As the CIO panelists pointed out, however, it’s one thing to acknowledge and recognize the pressures coming from digitalization—particularly as it relates to customer centricity—and quite another to have the wherewithal to actually do something about it.
The CIOs on the panel were both from midsize insurers, and they correctly pointed out that it’s difficult to make progress on any one of these macro trends, let alone all of them, given the realities of budget constraints, ongoing core systems transformations, the constant shift of priorities, and the difficulty in acquiring and retaining the kind of IT talent that can push this rock forward. Those are real problems, and based on the panel and the many conversation I had with carrier people, that won’t be solved anytime soon.
On the other hand, the second panel I moderated featured three disruptors who, in their own ways, were reimagining how the insurance industry should work.
- The first panelist started a customer-focused data-aggregation service that allows small business owners to get insurance with just a few clicks—a clear threat to existing agent distribution channels in small commercial.
- The second panelist started a service that, while not completely disruptive to the industry, nonetheless uses intelligent data to quickly compare policy contract contents and highlight the difference, a laborious mostly manual process for the industry.
- The third panelist has placed themselves squarely between the consumer and the carrier, by creating a smart, Wi-Fi-enabled nine-volt battery for home smoke detectors that has the potential to contribute to the smart home assault on home insurance premiums.
Each of them viewed the insurance industry as an easy target for disruption, given its poor track record with customer experience and process transparency.
Lack of resources for innovation
That was the general theme from nearly all of the disruptors attending the conference. Many of them had the kinds of ideas and solutions that might play well in other verticals, but the disruption barrier to entry is so low for the insurance vertical, they’ve chosen to go there first.
Unless you’re a Fortune 50 insurer, it’s becoming increasingly clear that much of the digital transformations entering the industry are and will be from outside the industry, leaving the industry in more if a reactive mode for the foreseeable future.
Who watches the future?
One way for insurers to get ahead of this is to continue to advocate for the strategic imperative of technology and its effective use at the executive and board levels. One way that midsize insurers can accomplish this is by appointing technology experienced board members, and by considering the establishments of board-level technology committees as way to place the competitive and market implications of a well-executed technology strategy in their proper place – at the strategic top of the company.
Novarica will be presenting our research on this topic at the NAMIC Annual Convention on September 25-28, 2016 in Vancouver, B.C. These are the kinds of actions that might help many carriers change their digital disruption orientation from reactive to proactive.
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Appointment of Wendy Aarons-Corman as CEO of OWIT Global
- 360Globalnet Connecting with Insurer Community as AAIS Associate Partner
- Agero Names George Horvat as Chief Operations Officer
- FRISS Joins Duck Creek Partner Ecosystem to Provide Risk and Fraud Detection Solutions to Property & Casualty Insurers Worldwide
- Nationwide Announces New Tech Partnership to Improve Safety for Long-Haul Truck Drivers
- Global Investments in Insurtech: Digitalization Taking Hold
- Lucens Group Announces Corporate Name Change to Claimify to Reflect Commitment to its Software Platform
- The Co-operators Drives Innovative Claims Process with Guidewire InsurancePlatform Cloud-Based Predictive Analytics System
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE