The Federal Government and Security Standards Meet at a Dangerous Time
Robert Regis Hyle | October 12, 2015
Like a ticking clock—channel the old Jack Bauer thriller 24—our enemies, some known the majority unknown, are looking at ways to attack us. I’m not talking about nations ready to go to war, but businesses fighting the surge of cybercrime.
An insurance CIO recently told me that his company had successfully watched over his company’s website that has been exposed over 1 billion times to the possibility of cybercrime. That’s an enormous number, but anyone in the business of detecting security threats for an insurance carrier will tell you even 1 out of 1,000,000,000 can be devastating.
In the November issue of ITA Pro, we take a look at security and how insurers and businesses in virtually every industry are examining ways to judge their ability to combat cyber threats. Novarica’s associate vice president of research, Steven Kaye, wisely points out that without metrics, anyone who believes their company is completely secure is clueless about what is going on in the world.
New threats are developing each day and new responses to those threats need to keep pace. Complicating matters is the openness shown by businesses and consumers for new technology features. People are amazed at our “connected world” where a homeowner can suddenly remember he left the lights on in the bedroom and turn them off via a handheld device from miles away.
That is truly amazing, but unless such technology is secure at all entry points, it’s just another way to allow access to your house to someone who can find a way to use your vulnerabilities now or sometime in the future.
A debate is now centering on which metrics are best to judge how secure companies are. Many insurers have been using a set of standards from ISO, which are respected worldwide. But into the fray enters the U.S. government, which, through the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has introduced a new security framework. Thanks in large part to its pedigree, many believe the NIST framework eventually will become the standard for insurance and other industries.
Some might feel the federal government is the last place you want to look to for cybersecurity advice, but whether it comes from the government, a private entity such as ISO or any responsible organization, the standards need to be addressed so that all sizes of companies can deal with their possible failings and know what steps to take for a secure future.
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- The Doctors Company Names Howard Mills to Board of Governors
- Oregon State Bar Professional Liability Fund Completes Successful Implementation of One Inc Digital Payments Platform
- Long-Term Data Strategies, Improved Underwriting and Product Development Key for Specialty Insurers, Says Novarica
- MEMIC Hires Lieberman as Production Underwriter in Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- Lightning Dangers Emphasized During Building Safety & Electrical Safety Months
- MVP Advisory Group Announces Partnership with DynaQuest Technology Services, Inc.
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Euan King Joins Instanda to Lead Business Development
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE