Verisk Appoints Churney President of Its AIR Worldwide Firm
Staff Writer | January 07, 2016
Verisk Analytics announces the appointment of Bill Churney to the position of president of its AIR Worldwide business. Former AIR President Ming Lee retired effective January 1, 2016, concluding a successful 20-year career at AIR Worldwide, and will continue at AIR until June.
AIR is a provider of risk modeling software and consulting services and today models the risk from natural catastrophes and terrorism in more than 90 countries. Churney will have immediate responsibility for setting global strategy and overseeing worldwide operations at AIR.
"I'm extremely pleased to appoint Bill Churney as AIR's new president to lead the company as it continues to experience rapid growth in the global insurance market," says Scott Stephenson, Verisk Analytics president and CEO. "Bill has been an invaluable member of our team for many years and has shown great leadership skills and a strong dedication to our mission and core values. I look forward to seeing his vision for the future of catastrophe modeling come to fruition."
Churney joined AIR in 2002 and most recently served as chief operating officer. In that role, he was responsible for overseeing strategic direction and company operations for product management, software product development, global business development, marketing, consulting, and client service activities. Churney has extensive experience working directly with companies to better understand their catastrophe risk management processes and to identify ways to implement analytics to improve risk management.
"I'm very honored and humbled to have the opportunity to serve as AIR's next president," commented Churney. "These are exciting, if challenging, times. Much of the world is still highly at risk from extreme events, whether from natural or man-made causes. I look forward to leading the highly talented team at AIR to help our clients and society at large better prepare for and respond to such events. By continuing our focus on developing advanced models and innovative technology solutions, we look forward to helping our clients capitalize on the many opportunities that exist to better manage risk."
Before joining AIR, Churney worked in product management and operations management. He holds a B.A. in economics from Haverford College and an M.B.A. from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College.
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Western Reserve Group Deploys Guidewire Systems for Claims Management and Digital Engagement
- Frederick Mutual Goes Live with ValueMomentum’s BizDynamics Digital Solution and iFoundry Rating Engine
- Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation Completes First Year Under StoneRiver’s PowerSuite® Enterprise
- Insurance Veteran Lou Geremia Joins Bold Penguin as Chief Revenue Officer
- The County of Los Angeles Expands Use of PCIS’ ClaimsVISION
- Sirius Group Selects Insurity SIMS Claims and Oceanwide Bridge with Cloud Deployment
- Sapiens Announces Catholic Life Insurance’s Expanded Use of StoneRiver Solutions for Life and Annuities
- New York State Insurance Fund Selects Majesco Billing on Majesco CloudInsurer
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
The core systems replacement cycle is speeding up. Twenty years ago, even if you spent your entire career working at the same insurance company, you... READ MORE
- Partner News