Verisk, Driveway Software Alliance to Offer Smartphone Telematics Solution
Staff Writer | December 07, 2016
Verisk Insurance Solutions announces a strategic alliance with Driveway Software. The companies will jointly develop a comprehensive smartphone telematics solution for auto manufacturers, their customers, and participating insurers in U.S. and global markets through the Verisk Data Exchange.
The jointly developed solution will combine the Driveway smartphone telematics platform for data collection and driver engagement with the Verisk Data Exchange to apply driver scoring and provide a direct connection for consumers to participating insurers. The solution will leverage Driveway's patented battery-efficient trip-capture technology and Verisk's expertise in insurance analytics and scoring plus its proven success in filing UBI rating rules.
Verisk launched the Exchange in July 2016. Consenting connected-car owners will have the option to contribute their driving data and seamlessly take advantage of insurers' usage-based insurance (UBI) programs typically designed to reward safe drivers. General Motors is the first auto manufacturer to sign on to the Verisk Data Exchange.
By leveraging Driveway's smartphone-based solution, automakers can bring the benefits of telematics to their millions of existing customers who are not leveraging connectivity in their car.
"Most original equipment manufacturers are implementing connected-car solutions in new vehicles," says Jim Levendusky, vice president of telematics at Verisk Insurance Solutions. "However, many vehicles without embedded connectivity cannot deliver a connected-car experience to their drivers. The Driveway/Verisk telematics smartphone solution will close this gap."
The Verisk Data Exchange also assigns consumers a driver risk score, generally similar to a credit score, which they can use to demonstrate their responsible driving history and to request that their car insurance premiums be adjusted accordingly.
"The Exchange provides automakers a one-stop solution to help their customers get the benefits of UBI," says Mike Simmons, CEO of Driveway Software. "Rather than building and managing relationships with hundreds of insurers, automakers can have a single point of contact in Verisk Insurance Solutions, which has long-standing relationships throughout the insurance industry."
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Captricity AI Surpasses Human Ability to Read
- Maple Tech Announces Enhanced Integration Functionality Available in Latest Version of Aspire
- ORIGAMI RISK RECEIVES GROWTH INVESTMENT FROM SPECTRUM EQUITY
- Raffles Health Insurance (Singapore) Selects Majesco’s Health Core Platform
- EIS Group Announces Reseller Agreement with Comtec
- Kookmin Best Insurance Company Selects Majesco CloudInsurer
- Glatfelter Insurance Group Selects OnBase by Hyland to Improve Information Management
- Bold Penguin Announces Commercial Insurance Marketplace Expansion
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views