Verisk Uses iovation's Device to Fight Policy, Claims Fraud
Staff Writer | July 15, 2015
Verisk Insurance Solutions and iovation announce the launch of the Verisk Device Reputation Service, a tool to help insurers prevent fraud by exposing the reputation of Internet-enabled devices.
The tool uses proprietary iovation technology to help identify devices linked to previous fraudulent activities across a variety of industries, including insurance, finance, retail, gaming, and telecommunications. By using iovation's database of more than 2.5 billion Internet devices and the relationships between them, insurers can better determine the level of risk associated with online insurance transactions.
"As online fraud continues to evolve and more insurance policies are generated through online channels, much can be learned about the customer through the devices used to obtain coverage," says John Cantwell, vice president of auto product development for Verisk Insurance Solutions. "Property & casualty insurance fraud amounts to about $32 billion a year, according to industry estimates from the Insurance Information Institute. As insurance shopping gets easier with more online channels and choices, online criminals have more ways to possibly commit fraud. Adding device-based intelligence to the fraud detection process can help reduce fraud and potentially save insurers millions of dollars."
The Verisk Device Reputation Service examines the hardware used to conduct an insurance transaction, such as a quote or claim report, through the Web or a mobile app. For example, an insurer can learn whether a particular PC, laptop, mobile phone, or tablet is connected to accounts or other devices with known histories of fraud. The resulting device reputation score can help insurers determine policy pricing and applicant integrity.
The service can better detect fraud at the point of initial quote, potentially before any risk is incurred. For example, insurers can verify instantly whether the device used to request a policy quote has ever committed fraud or abuse or if it's connected to a device that has been associated with any type of fraudulent activity - anywhere in the world. It also checks for any device anomalies, attributes, and activity levels that may be risky from an underwriter's perspective.
While used primarily at the point of sale, the technology can help at all stages of the policy cycle, including renewals and claims. It also helps insurers identify their most valuable and trustworthy customers.
"The key to fighting fraud is finding a way to stop the bad guys while providing a frictionless way to let good customers in, and we've accomplished this through our strategic alliance with Verisk Insurance Solutions," said iovation's vice president of global partnerships, Max Anhoury. "We're excited to provide Verisk Insurance Solutions and its clients an extra layer to help secure their business and customers."
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Visioning, Setting Scope, and Execution Planning Critical for Successful Digital Strategies, Says Novarica
- ITS Implements QA Best Practices for Rockford Mutual
- FireLight® by Insurance Technologies Features New Advanced User Experience Capabilities and Wizard Designer
- InsurTech Startup Betterview Launches New AI Driven Roof Report to Immediately Identify Roof Condition & Characteristics
- Larger Insurers Extending their Analytics Leads and Piloting Artificial Intelligence, says 3rd Annual Novarica New Normal 100 Benchmark
- 360Globalnet Augments Services and Implementation Capabilities
- TechCanary Incorporates in Canada as TechCanary Insurance Software of Canada ULC
- XL Catlin to Build World’s First On-Demand Cyber Insurance Solution with Slice ICS
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views