What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
Chuck Gomez and Kent Black | September 27, 2018
Insurers are striving to deliver the type of experience agents, brokers, and consumers expect thanks to industries like banking and retail. This experience includes real-time, on-demand access to transactional capabilities, important documents, and communication functions. Insurers are starting to select, implement, and support digital experience platforms to meet these needs rather than traditional agent and consumer portals.
Many digital experience platforms (DXPs), such as those offered by Sitecore and Liferay, are marketed as horizontal solutions that insurers can use to build, design, and implement personalized user interfaces that are decoupled from and integrated with back-end core systems. These provide more functionality and opportunity for configuration than agent and consumer portals of the past, and a growing number of vertical vendors in the insurance space (DXC, ValueMomentum) have rearchitected their portal offerings from the ground up to be cloud-based DXPs.
There are myriad reasons insurer CIOs are turning toward DXPs. CIOs are responsible for supporting corporate-wide applications that include their organizations’ digital assets such as Web content and broker portals. In some cases, marketing teams might be seeking to initiate rebranding efforts, emphasizing personalization and customer insights. In others, executive suites might be requesting that IT leverage technology investments across the enterprise. CIOs in this position have to choose between building their own solution via traditional application development tools or relying on a third-party, cloud-based digital solution. While custom development might be the best option for some carriers, many are likely to turn to a DXP with a modern, cloud-based architecture to meet the needs of all parties—such as the marketing and business teams—invested in the platform.
A handful of DXPs have mature architecture with strong APIs that leverage the RESTful framework for interacting with internal and external ties, with social media ties, and with the ability to provide insightful user data to all teams. Having a cloud-based digital platform with strong API capabilities can also enable insurers to introduce microservices architecture, providing more solution options than may reside in an insurer’s own data centers.
In addition, implementing a truly cloud-based solution allows carriers to think strategically about how they are incorporating AI, machine language, predictive analytics, and other emerging technologies into their digital experience for users. When leveraged properly, these platforms eliminate the need to invest in other technology separately and fulfill requests coming from the executive suite.
Choosing to use a third-party, cloud-based solution doesn’t free carriers from all tech responsibility, however. To connect a DXP to back-end core systems, CIOs should determine whether their core content and Web presence are built on a framework that can be integrated directly. Using an SOA-based framework can help integrate a more modern DXP to older core systems.
Even after integrating new systems with old systems, CIOs will need to consider how to provide appropriate user interfaces (UI). Does this mean using the platform’s original UI? Maybe. It might also entail building out new UIs for internal users, such as for underwriting or claims adjusters. For external visitors like website browsers, brokers, and policyholders, it probably makes more sense to rely on the UI of the DXP.
Further down the road, UIs for internal users can be built out as a headless integration. In a way, selecting a modern DXP and integrating as skinny clients with back-end core systems amounts to separating UI from core. Many insurance CIOs have recently prioritized keeping ownership of UIs separate from core systems — separating the presentation layer from the core code base. Owning the presentation layer can provide more flexibility and a differentiating user experience.
As more insurers work on the user experience they provide to policyholders, brokers, and internal users alike, digital experience platforms will become the new norm. Keeping these aspects in mind will simplify the decision-making and implementation process for insurer CIOs.
Chuck Gomez is a Vice President of Research and Consulting at Novarica. He has over 28 years of insurance technology experience in senior roles at insurers, reinsurers, brokers, consulting firms, and software companies. His expertise spans strategic planning, transformational program management, technology assessment, cloud strategy, legacy migration, and setup of de novo operations. Prior to joining Novarica, he held senior technology leadership roles at Guy Carpenter, Integro Insurance Brokers, and Arch Insurance Group; he has also held roles at AIG, Liberty Mutual, EY, and AgencyPort. Chuck holds a BS in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research from the University of California at Berkeley. He can be reached directly at email@example.com.
Kent Black is the CIO – Enterprise Applications for Tokio Marine HCC, a leading specialty insurance company transacting business in approximately 180 countries and underwriting more than 100 classes of specialty insurance. With responsibilities in delivery of back office and policy administration systems, Kent is also responsible for driving the Digital strategy and overall eCommerce presence from a corporate technology perspective. He has over 25 years of senior leadership roles in technology, insurance, and healthcare industries leading transformation efforts. Kent holds a BS in Computer Science from Texas A&M University.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Agero Improves Accident Experience for Insurers, Drivers with addition of Alternative Transportation by Lyft
- Acuity Integrates with Talage’s Wheelhouse to Provide Better Digital Tools to Agents
- Quadient Announces Inspire Days Virtual Experience
- Bill Chval Named Vice President of Sales to Lead Growth at Metromile Enterprise
- Spruce Partners with Munich Re's Digital Partners to Offer Title Insurance Fueled by Automation
- Next Insurance Expands Workers' Compensation to 24 Additional States
- Industry Veteran Chuck Fillizola Joins Instec Senior Executive Team
- Majesco Announces the Launch of Majesco L&A Insurance Data & Analytics Platform
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
For P&C Insurers, accelerating their digital transition and increasing their flexibility to the “new normal” are crucial steps to take... READ MORE
Insurance leaders have accepted the fact that we're never going back to pre-COVID "normal." And it's a great opportunity, says Denise Garth of Majesco... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE