Which Way Do You Lean on AXA/Facebook Deal?
Denise Garth | May 02, 2014
The reactions and responses to the SMA blog The Shot Heard Around the Industry: AXA and Facebook have been very interesting and enlightening. It has had polarizing reactions ... from some that envision and imagine the potential, and from others that only see today’s view of Facebook and insurance.
The responses of this latter group explain a lot. In that point of view, the industry is characterized as risk-adverse, steeped in tradition, lacking in creativity, and slow to change. More importantly, it reveals a mindset that, perhaps reluctantly, accepts these labels, inhibiting an insurer’s ability to be imaginative, to break out of the box, and to reimagine the business of insurance. This time-worn outlook will need to be changed if insurers are to survive and thrive in this fast-changing environment.
Like it or not, the increasingly rapid pace of change and disruption are due to modern and major influencers: the customer being in control; the new business models used by other industries and companies like Facebook, Google, Amazon, and others; and next-gen and emerging technologies that are converging and challenging decades of business traditions and assumptions. All of this begs a new perspective and demands a different response that can inspire change, a new vision, and new directions for insurance.
Industries, from retail to books, travel, entertainment, and pharmaceuticals, have found the very foundations of their long-held business and operational models challenged, necessitating new thinking, adoption of new technologies, experimentation, and in essence, innovation. Those that have not … well, they are no longer relevant, or no longer the market leaders in their space, or maybe even no longer in existence.
Just consider the iconic brands of Kodak, Blockbuster, Circuit City, Time Magazine, Borders, The Boston Globe, CNN, or JC Penny. Their inability or unwillingness to see and act upon the influencers of change has cost them greatly. Even relatively new companies that were only recently considered innovative are challenged in this climate of change. Look at Yahoo, Blackberry, and Nook.
Yet other companies are acknowledging these influencers and embracing innovation, new technologies, and outside-in approaches. As noted by one blog response, automotive companies like Ford, BMW, GM, and others focused on the “connected car.” Companies offering “shared car services” like Uber, Zipcar, and Lyft are recognizing the importance and value of customer driven companies, like Facebook and Google, as an integral part of their offering and customer experience.
And Facebook and Google keep expanding the realm of possibilities to grow, enhance, and strengthen the customer relationships and customer experiences with their string of acquisitions such as Facebook’s Instagram, Face, and Oculus, or Google’s Nest, Titan Aerospace, and Zagat, to name a few.
What stands out in these divergent responses to the blog and the examples above? It’s the vision of the leadership. Leaders that can see and define a future vision, create a culture of innovation, identify and understand the influencers of change, and embrace an outside-in approach will separate the winners from the losers in this environment of fast-paced change and disruption.
And now the insurance industry must learn and respond fast, because it is facing the same types of challenges and changes that have reshaped the other industries. That’s why the strategic partnership of AXA with Facebook is a game-changer, distinguishing their leadership and their willingness to take an outside-in approach.
We are not likely to know the details or see the inner-workings in action for competitive reasons, but AXA has taken a bold step toward becoming a Next-Gen Insurer. By leveraging a company like Facebook with massive expertise and experience in understanding the digital experience and the changing expectations of customers, AXA is being transformed, in brand presence, customer experience, and customer loyalty to a digital insurer.
Being a digital insurer is so much more than just having a website or portal for customers and agents, more than using channels such as social media as a point of sale vehicle or advertising arm, and more than having a mobile app to report claims. It is a powerful combination, integration, and intersection of the website, mobile platforms, social media, mobile messaging, location services, crowdsourcing, business and customer applications, online video, content management, customer communications, sales enablement, branding, and marketing that creates a seamless, engaging customer experience. And it is underpinned with sophisticated data and analytics that know, influence, anticipate, and engage the customer in a way that creates a next-gen customer experience.
After all, in today’s world it really is all about the customer. It is about customer experience and customer loyalty. AXA’s bold move in taking an outside-in approach by partnering with a company that has been a leader in redefining the customer experience, redefining the digital experience, embracing new technologies, and using data and analytics, has created an opportunity for AXA to do different things that will position them as a leader in this new digital world.
The coming years hold the promise of unparalleled opportunity for insurers to increase their value to their customers. Those that remain tied to tradition and the past, choose to ignore the key influencers, or wait too long to react will risk losing relevance and competitive position. In contrast, those that are willing to take the bold steps forward will have the advantage and stand to gain the greatest rewards.
Yes, there are lots of details to be defined, piloted, and implemented over the next few years in this partnership. And there will always be naysayers and critics. But this bold move and others like it are ushering in the dawn of a new future that is full of possibilities – a future that unleashes creativity, embraces innovation, and champions leading from the outside in – and reimagines a new future for insurance. This is transformation and innovation. This is what will define winners and losers. And that is what is so exciting!
Contact me at email@example.com if you’d like to learn how SMA can help you on the innovation journey and discover new opportunities for the insurance industry. Click here to learn more about SMA’s research.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Hippo Insurance Secures $70M Series C Investment Led by Felicis Ventures and Lennar Corporation
- Cloverleaf Analytics Announces Version 2.0 Release
- AmWINS selects ClarionDoor’s Digital Distribution Suite to Power Underwriting Platform
- Ask Kodiak Connects TrustedChoice.com Carrier Appetite to TechCanary Agency Management System
- Seth Bostock Joins Lucens Group as CTO with Vision to Simplify the Disability Insurance Experience
- Life Insurers Enhancing Claims Systems, Novarica Profiles Six Prominent Providers
- HazardHub Releases Frozen Pipe Score, Ice Dam Score and enhanced Weather Variables
- Big Gains & Big Bets in the Independent Insurance Channel
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views