Why Content Rules
Patrick Kehoe | March 06, 2018
As Capgemini’s Mahendra Nambiar noted in ITA Pro’s August 2017 e-magazine, the growing expectations of customers centered around convenience, personalization and transparency are driving technological innovation in the insurance industry. As Nambiar puts it: “Freed from the status quo of the past…[i]t is now just a matter of insurers implementing the correct technological innovation for them to retain or assume leadership positions in the marketplace.”
The holy grail in this transformational process is commonly articulated as “customer-centricity,” defined as an approach that ensures the customer is at the center of a business's philosophy, operations or ideas. Achieving customer-centricity has led carriers to take a hard look at their customer communications, as well as the technologies used to engage with customers over every channel. In our view, the way to truly achieve customer-centricity is through what we are calling “content-centricity.”
According to a report by PwC, customers today are overwhelmed with irrelevant and inconsistent messages from their insurance carriers. Developing a customer-centric communications strategy involves a commitment to collaboration, as well as the right technology and governance, to support consistency of content. A successful strategy will require purposeful and focused attention to the actual messaging that goes into communications. Content is the key to achieving customer-centricity because if an organization is not carefully ensuring that it is creating the right messaging to drive its communications, it doesn’t matter what the technology can do or what other steps are being taken to engage the customer through every channel.
PwC is right to point out that customer experience is quickly eroded when a customer signs up for a bundle of auto, home and life insurance from a company, only to realize that communications related to these products bear no resemblance to each other. Even worse, the insurance organization may continue to send promotional flyers for the products the customer has already purchased.
What is needed is an intensified focus on finding ways to empower the content authors, regulators, marketers and product managers responsible for customer communications to get relevant messaging into those communications. However, the challenge is that many of the technologies put in place in the name of a customer experience strategy have not made it easier for those responsible for messaging to access the right content or for the organization to engage in initiatives to improve that content, such as a plain language rewrite.
Carriers need the ability to migrate and optimize relevant content so that it can be moved from legacy siloed environments to a more centralized means to intelligently manage, personalize and control the content across the enterprise. That way, irrelevant and inconsistent messages can be eliminated, making it possible to ensure that messages are consistent, reusable and highly personalized for each customer.
Ultimately, the goal should be to view all customer communications from the customer’s perspective, rather than in the context of the tools used to deliver it. That's because it is essential to recognize that the tools you are using today and the channels you are communicating in may not be the tools and channels you will be using years or even months from now. Alternatively, if you have a situation where there is more than one tool in place for customer communications, there is no way of telling which one will be most critical to how your communication strategy plays out in the future. However, what you can count on enduring is your content, and you want that to be the right content and to look and feel the same to your customers no matter where in the organization it is coming from. Ultimately, focusing on content-centricity is the best strategy for creating a positive customer experience.
Patrick Kehoe is executive vice president of product management for Messagepoint, Inc. Kehoe has more than 25 years of experience delivering business solutions for document processing, customer communications and content management. For more information on Messagepoint, visit www.messagepoint.com.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Are Personal Lines Insurers Investing in Foundational Technologies?
- The Dentists Insurance Company Selects Guidewire InsurancePlatform for Data Management and Analytics
- Valen Unveils New ‘Unavailable Loss History Model’ for Workers’ Compensation
- Insurers Replacing Distribution/Compensation Management Systems as Part of Modernization Strategies; Novarica Profiles 10 Vendor Solutions
- HazardHub zooms past 100 billion data points for Property analysis
- ClarionDoor Adds New Head of Data and Analytics
- Zywave Introduces Comprehensive Learning Management System
- Insurance Industry Buys into RiskGenius Yet Again
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The personal lines segment of the insurance industry is quite active today, with many initiatives and projects underway across the value chain... READ MORE
Nowadays, transformation is a top buzzword in the insurance world. But beyond the buzz, it reflects what is happening in the insurance industry today... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE