Why Not? Is the New Motto for Insurance Distribution
Robert Regis Hyle | November 24, 2015
New technology has yet to cause complete disruption in the insurance industry, but there certainly has been more than a minor disturbance in the way insurance carriers operate these days, particularly with the distribution channel.
Independent agencies continue to go about their business because insurance can be a confusing and worrisome issue for consumers. A gentle, guiding voice is comforting for many people who need to make important financial decisions. There always will be a need for professional advice because there will always be a customer base that doesn’t want to spend the time or energy to research the issues for themselves.
Of course, not too many years ago that description could be made of the entire insurance-buying public. Over the course of the last decade, though, the mystery surrounding many insurance products has faded away. Today’s consumers have a better understanding of what they are looking for in the marketplace, particularly in the personal lines.
But savvy shoppers are also wondering why the industry continues to believe the insurance-buying public is incapable of making more decisions for themselves when it comes to buying the “complicated” insurance products, such as commercial lines and many life insurance products.
Carriers have to decide whether to fear the disruption in the distribution process or become a part of it. A recent Deloitte study shows small business owners are ready, willing, and able to purchase coverage online and carriers have to make some decisions on whether to embrace not only the new technology, but the mindset of consumers.
Some are choosing to continue with the early 21st century model of offering online information that potential customers can use to conduct research before calling their agent, but a hybrid approach seems the best answer.
There are many customers that will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future. They will never shop for insurance online and they will rely on agents for every decision. But that distribution model reflects the past. The industry needs a model that points in a new direction, even for those “complicated” products.
As the late Robert Kennedy said a half-century ago: “There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
Well, we are living in a world full of people whose motto could very well be “Why Not?” They will someday become the overwhelming majority, so ignore their needs at your own peril.
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Nationwide launches easy, online insurance platform for business owners with fewer than five employees
- InsureTech Connect 2018 Pre-Conference Workshop to Focus on Customer Acquisition
- HazardHub named as EIA 2018 Entrepreneur of the Year.
- Insurers Leveraging Digital and Analytics-Driven Claims Capabilities to Improve Customer Perception and Results, Says Novarica
- Slice ICS Customer Announces Go-Live of First Digital Insurance Product
- Personal Lines Carriers Focus on Digitalization of Processes, Products, and Consumers, Says Novarica
- Messagepoint Integrates SparkPost with its Leading Customer Communications Management (CCM) Platform
- Insurers Seeing InsureTech as Opportunity More than Threat, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views