Will Emerging Technologies, Innovation Transform the Insurance Customer Experience?
Mark Breading | September 08, 2015
The world is abuzz with the potential of a new wave of emerging technologies aimed at transforming business, society, and our daily lives. Every day, there are new developments in wearables, drones, autonomous vehicles, the Internet of Things, virtual reality, and a host of others.
And the pace is accelerating. Ten, or even five years from now our world will look a lot different. It is important for insurers to ask how these emerging technologies will impact insurance—an industry considered to be stuck in the past.
Emerging technologies and trends are sure to influence two key dimensions in insurance: the customer experience and innovation. Insurers have lately pivoted toward the customer, launching major investments and initiatives after years of slow progress.
Many leading companies are aggressively pursuing innovation agendas to reinvent their businesses. Many aspects will change: distribution channels, products, risk assessment, and business models. The major driver behind all of this change is customer expectation, fueled by emerging technologies, and enabled by innovation.
Emerging Technologies and Trends
Insurers are highly focused on eight emerging technologies for the near term; with an additional four expected to impact the industry later. The top priority emerging technologies today for both P&C and L&A are new payment technologies, the IoT, wearables, and artificial intelligence. P&C also likes drones and autonomous vehicles, while L&A is using semantic technologies and watching biotechnology/genomics. Others with rising potential include 3D printing, augmented/virtual reality, gamification, and advanced robotics.
A Paradigm Shift in the Customer Experience
Historically, insurance customer interactions were few. Maturing technologies like mobile and analytics are already offering new ways for policyholders to communicate with agents and insurers. But, the next wave of changes driven by emerging technologies has the potential to completely change the experience, especially in the following ways.
- Nature of interactions: The connected world offers new opportunities to collaborate with customers on managing risk and investments.
- Frequency of interactions: Interactions between a policyholder and insurer will increase from monthly, quarterly, or annually to daily within five years.
- Intelligence of interactions: Real-time data, along with sophisticated analytics will enable more intelligent, personalized, and actionable interactions.
Innovation: From Ideation to Implementation
Many insurers have ideas about the opportunities and challenges created by emerging technologies and trends. The difficulty lies in identifying specific business-use cases in which emerging technology can be implemented and yield measureable results. This is where innovation comes into play.
For innovation to truly drive transformation and success, it must go beyond desire, thought, and vision. To move from ideation to implementation means there must be a sustained commitment, emanating from the top of the business, that promotes and cultivates the projects and investments that will enact change.
It is a fascinating time to be in the insurance industry—full of opportunities, threats, and a changing landscape. Insurers should continue to leverage maturing technologies, but the real transformation is just beginning, with emerging technologies setting the stage and innovation playing a starring role. The winners will be those that embrace the opportunities to leverage new technologies to rethink and reimagine their products and business models and create brand new ways to interact with customers.
Mark Breading is a partner with Strategy Meets Action, which holds its annual SMA Summit in Boston on Monday, Sept. 21.
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- 2019 Global Insurance Accelerator Cohort Reflects Evolution of InsurTech
- Nearly 50% of US Insurers Are Enhancing Security Capabilities Across the Board, Says Novarica
- Xchange Benefits Acquires the Assets of J. Allan Hall & Associates, Inc.
- HazardHub Celebrates 2018
- Slice Launch Studio
- Crawford Technologies Experiences its Strongest Year of Sales and Growth
- InsureTech Company Accurence Secures Fourth Patent
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE