Electronic Chat with Andrew Jernigan, CEO, and Allen Koski, President and Chief Innovation Officer, Insured Nomads
Laura Mazzuca Toops | April 05, 2021
The COVID pandemic has unalterably changed the way people work, and enabled remote work from virtually anywhere in the world. Many countries are launching “digital nomad visas” in the hopes of replacing tourists with remote workers.
Insured Nomads is the first insurtech focused on remote workers, digital nomads, expats, and travelers around the world. The company offers a full portfolio of insurance solutions for the globally mobile -- including international health, life and disability, and travel insurance. Serving clients around the world, with numerous customer service points, Insured Nomads operates with strategic partners around the globe, with registered regulated entities in London, Hamburg, and Birmingham, Ala.
Andrew, your resume has a global footprint, from project management at a clinic to Ghana, to Alabama for consulting on global benefits. Did you determine the need for Insured Nomads from your own nomadic experience?
Andrew: I have lived cross culturally since I was in my 20s and worked in crisis response, travel, and brokering international plans. From my experience, this niche of the insurance industry is in need of change, of awakening and enlivening. I’m also married to a global health/travel medical physician (company co-founder and global medical director Dr. Juliana Jernigan), so we view the needs differently than the static medical policy requirement. Her experience with leading providers around the world for wellbeing, along with what’s known as duty of care, are key factors that we’re passionate about.
Please share when and how you started the business.
Andrew: In the spring of 2019, well before COVID and a global pandemic, Allen and I said we have to build a better rocket ship. Allen’s experience is in building and delivering outstanding insurance products, going back to his time with Travelers and CIGNA. We started the company in the fall of 2019, and went live in December 2019 with travel plans. Service has been one of the main ways we’ve stayed ahead of the COVID curve, and we’ve brought in new ways to redefine what insurance would look like during the pandemic.
Allen: A lot of the products on the market today are not tech enabled. In my previous life in insurance, we tried to drive policyholders to call an alarm center -- that’s typical insurance. But with our cell phones having more computing powers than NASA had in the first moon landing, it makes sense to empower people. Digital nomads typically don’t have a benefits staff to call, so we empower them through technology to find the right provider, use the payment card to get a claim paid, or hit a panic button online if they need it.
What specific tech tools does Insured Nomad use to service its clients?
Andrew: Our policy ID card is connected to the Mastercard network in a fintech deployment that’s unique in this space. Insured Nomads members have access to a curated bundle of benefits called Juvo, which includes a virtual bodyguard with crisis evacuation services, cyber security protection, mental health/wellbeing counseling, telemedicine/virtual health, airport lounge entry, global intelligence with intercultural development on cities and countries, and more.
The global provider network for both hospitals and security response has been crucial for us to build into the technology. Our technology is backed by the best-in-class providers because no matter how good the tech is, it’s only as good as the providers. We’ve also made it easy to use.
What is the geographical distribution of Insured Nomad’s customers?
Allen: We have a wide geographic swath out there, so the only area we avoid are the OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) countries like North Korea and Syria. We’re seeing a lot of growth in areas like Estonia, Portugal, and Costa Rica. In a post-COVID world, everybody is chomping at the bit to travel somewhere, and we see an opportunity to serve them, too. Globally there’s also a large cadre of foreign nationals that come to the U.S. for short-term work or travel, who we also want to support.
Tell us a little about how your affiliate partnerships work with travel agents and others.
Allen: We work with travel agencies and other affiliate groups, typically by setting up a link to their intranet site where they can direct their members. We provide the insurance coverage as a benefit to their members. One of the great things about working with travel agencies is that they’ll provide feedback, which helps us build our product better. The co-working, relocation and employer services industries are key partnerships in this new type of offering.
How have you selected which brokers and underwriters to work with?
Andrew: Creating a customized schedule of benefits and finding underwriters for this new portfolio of products has been highest priority for us, letting us deploy tech as we desire. Our travel coverage is underwritten through Hanover Specialty with a U.S. policy administration claims, which allows us to deploy our technology interfaces, and VYV Groupe in France for our international health insurance products through our European MGA, Insured Nomads Underwriting GmbH.
Allen: Most global insurance brokers work not with individuals, but on group products for large multinational companies. Since we’ve been talking to the broker community, they now realize there’s a big opportunity for this digital nomad environment. We’ve been using thought leadership to educate the broker community on what they’ve missed. Lots of U.S. brokers didn’t know about digital nomad visa, for instance, so they can reach out to their client base and educate them about it, too. We’ve been getting more traction with the small to midsized broker community in focusing from group to individual and travel needs and preparing for black swan events. As a participant with WBN (Worldwide Broker Network), we serve the leading brokerage firms along with other select relationships.
Where do you expect to see the biggest business growth in the next few years?
Andrew: The remote work environment, the shift of the workforce over the past 10 years, is now in the spotlight, with everyone knowing you can take the office with you. We see that as an area where insurance must evolve in deploying tech. These workers aren’t going to be running down the hall to HR to ask questions; they’ll be expecting it on their cellphones and at their fingertips. COVID has been one of those things that has escalated the need for this technology. Just as restaurants responded to the shutdown by offering online ordering and pickup, insurance has to similarly shift to adapt to the new normal. Technology should make things easier, not more complex, for the user. There are simple things tech can do to make insurance a frictionless rather than a fearful process while still protecting data.
Allen: I hope in five years we’re a brand name in the digital nomad and remote work community. We’re well on the way to earning that trust and we have the right people, tech, and vision to support that. We’ve already done a lot to educate insurance and affiliate groups about digital nomads, but there’s more out there that can be focused. We are the category sponsor for the 2021 virtual Running Remote conference, the largest of its kind, which reaches 15,000 people a year. Just like the expats who went off to live in Paris after the 1919 flu pandemic, we’re expecting to see a huge uptick in travel. We’re also seeing governments becoming more flexible and tracking people who work in those different locations -- people who want to work on their own terms, with more consultancy and more remote workers operating as individual proprieties, which will play into our programs.
- Purchasing and Innovation: Friends or Enemies?
- COVID Drives More Reliance on Risk Management Systems, New Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Robert Clark, CEO, Cloverleaf Analytics
- Solving Customer Communications Challenges with Hybrid Mail
- Six Trends Shaping Digital Insurance Tech Strategies in 2021
- Billing a Key Component of Customer Service, Celent Finds
- Why Data Science Fails
- Electronic Chat with Andrew Jernigan, CEO, and Allen Koski, President and Chief Innovation Officer, Insured Nomads
- Electronic Chat with Allison Martin, CEO and Founder, UDoTest
- Are Carriers Ready for the Coming Crash?
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Moore, Director for North American Sales Engineering and Solutions, Trifacta
- Next Insurance Partners with Amazon Business Prime to Provide Small Businesses with Affordable Digital Insurance Options
- An AI Walks Into an Electronics Store...
- InsurTech NY Announces Global Early-Stage Competition Winners
- World’s Worst County/Western Insurtech Song
- Electronic Chat with Anne-Laure Klein, COO, Akur8
- COVID-19 One Year Later: The Digital Transformation of Insurance
- Electronic Chat with Michael Kassing, CEO/CVO, insured.io
- BrokerTech Ventures Announces 2021 Cohort Class for Accelerator
- An Entirely Preventable Disaster
- Flipping the Fraud Triangle
- The January/February ITA Pro Magazine is here!
- Credit Risk, ESG, Cybersecurity Top Risk Concerns for Financial Institutions, Deloitte Finds
- Electronic Chat with Ellen Moser, Senior Client Executive, Origami Risk LLC
- The Answer to “So What?”
- Leaders Rise from a Year Like No Other!
- Electronic Chat with Jonathan Roomer, Co-Founder, YuLife
- Getting Creative to Hit COVID Curveballs Out of the Park
- Electronic Chat with Eugenio Gonzalez, Plug and Play
- New Report Projects Global Insurtech to Grow by $21 Billion During 2020-2024
- The 2020 Virtual Event Wasteland
- Insurtechs, Investors Optimistic About Post-COVID Future, New DIA/McKinsey Study Finds
- Finding Grandmas
- No Code / Low Code: The New “Shortest Route” In Insurance Delivery
- Are You Addicted to Copy-and-Paste?
- Electronic Chat with Nino Tarantino, CEO- Americas, Insurance and Mobility Solutions (IMS)
- Driving Life Insurance:Tech Alone Won’t Solve Business Problems
- Electronic Chat with Robin Roberson, Managing Director, North America, Claim Central Consolidated
- How Do You Make It Happen?
- Electronic Chat with Jason Liu, CEO, Zywave
- New Partnership Models Take Program Business to the Next Level
- New Study Finds Less than Half of Consumers Trust Insurers to Respond to Their Needs
- Electronic Chat with Andrew Mauritzen, CFO and Head of Insurance Industry, Exactuals
- You Want Us To Do WHAT For Free?
- Electronic Chat with Evgeny Aleksandrov, Co-founder and CEO, Pilotbird
- Electronic Chat with Chris Cheatham, CEO, RiskGenius
- New MIT Sloan Study Finds Few Companies Gain Big Benefits from AI
- The September/October ITA Pro magazine is here!
- “Being Right” is Just the Start of the Battle
- Electronic Chat with Amit Ranjan, Executive VP and CAO, Xceedance
- Planning for Your Business and Tech Future: Strategies, Plans and Budgets for Rapid Transformation
- Electronic Chat with Jimmy Padia, Founder and CEO, Floatbot
- Gelato with Dots and Sprinkles
- COVID-19 and the Insurtech “Junk Drawer”
- Even “Change” is Different Now. Your Strategic Planning Needs to Be Too.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Sapiens, Atidot Partner on AI-based Predictive Insights for Life Insurance Providers
- Catapult Insurance Solutions Moves into Production with Builders Risk Expansion Program
- Insurance Technologies Acquires IXN
- Crawford Technologies Announces Second Annual Customer Communications Virtual Summit
- Zywave Acquires Risk Management Solutions Provider Enquiron
- eMaxx Launches Customer Centric Platform for Variable Cost Captive Programs
- Brewer Lane Ventures Hires David Castellani, Former New York Life Executive and Head of Technology
- RW Exchange, Sterling Seacrest Pritchard Announce Partnership
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Insurers want to innovate, but something is holding them back: their own purchasing departments... READ MORE
Even the most digitally transformed insurance organizations struggle with ad hoc customer communications. Luckily, technology can help... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE