Electronic Chat with John Siegman
Laura Mazzuca Toops | October 28, 2019
John Siegman is CCA and Founder at HazardHub, the only third-generation provider of risk databases for U.S. property-level natural and man-made hazards. The company’s team of scientists translates geospatial digital data to provide risk assessments that can be used to make real-world decisions.
Tell us a little about your professional background, and how you came to become involved with insurance and cat risk.
I’ve been involved with data my entire professional career. I started doing market research at San Diego Gas & Electric and moved to a geodemographic targeting company, National Decision System, where I met my cofounder Bob Frady. From there I went to QMSoft where I met Brady Foust, my other cofounder (I refer to Bob and Brady as my two BFs). QMSoft built the first single disc geocoder and along with that the first set of geospatial insurance data. Through a number of acquisitions, QMSoft ended up at Pitney Bowes. From there, I rejoined Brady at a company called Proxix that built out the second set of insurance geospatial data. That company ended up being a part of CoreLogic, where I brought Bob in to run major accounts. We all eventually left and about five years ago, got together over lunch, looked at the lack of choice in the market, and decided to form HazardHub. We thought the market was looking for a cost-effective data solution and we knew there was a lot of data that needed to be made that no one was tackling.
Based on your past career experience, dating back to San Diego Gas & Electric, you have always been involved in data collection and analysis. How dramatically has the data industry changed since the 1990s, and where do you predict it will go in the future?
It’s massively changed. Data collection used to worry about which data to save as storage costs were prohibitive. Now, we have over 3.5 terabytes of data in the cloud and we’re always adding more and no thought is given to if it will be “worth anything.” We don’t have to make those decisions; we let our customers make them. Also, everyone now is a data generation point. Through IoT, remote sensors, your phone, and more, the amount of data can be overwhelming. We try to distill massive amounts of data into a usable format that provides an answer to very specific questions.
You are based in California, where earthquakes and wildfires play a dramatic role in everyday life. How has your background impacted your current career?
HazardHub is headquartered in San Diego; it’s a dirty job, but somebody has to live here. No matter where you are, the hazards that you’re exposed to do not run your life. Yes, you might think about them on occasion, you might even mitigate for them, but you don’t get up every day fretting about them. What we’ve probably learned most is that, in general, most people have very little knowledge about the hazards they are exposed to. Since you mentioned wildfire, only 17% of California is a concern. And of that, about two-thirds is only a moderate concern. However, about 7% of structures in the state are seriously at risk and score an F in our model. F scores will face wildfire events on average every 15 years. If I lived in an F scoring dwelling, I’d make sure I mitigated to the nth degree.
HazardHub is in its third generation of building geographic data risk maps. What are some of the biggest changes between the first and third versions?
HazardHub’s first generation was QMSoft, the second was CoreLogic, the third is HazardHub. Like most people, the first time you do something you’re okay at it, the second time you do something you’re better, the third time you do something, you really know what you’re doing. So, while we’re a relatively new company, we have over 120 years of experience building hazard data sets. Because we’re constantly working on improvements, some of our data sets have gone through three iterations.
There are two big differences between us and our core competition. The first is that we want people to see the data behind the models. We do not believe in the black box mentality. A lot of our customers use our grades, but a growing number are using our data inputs and creating their own models. The second is we score everything dynamically. We have no points that are pre-scored. What this means to our customers is that our data is constantly fresh. For example, we update our hydrant database every week. Our fire station database gets updated every other week. If we get an updated water file today, tomorrow every model that uses it will produce an updated answer. We’re not afraid of change and work every day to improve what we deliver.
What sort of technology do you use to gather data on risk specifics? How has this changed over the years, and what emerging technologies will affect data collection in the future?
We collect data from all sorts of different places and use a lot of daily feeds to keep the information we provide current. We use a lot of satellite data, a lot of incident data, tons of imagery, and massive amounts of GIS files, to create data and answers. It used to be that the government was the only source for this information. That has changed dramatically. There are so many collection sources and points that the problem is no longer a lack of data, it’s finding the relevant data. I think that AI is an emerging technology that will impact data collection. For AI to work best it requires vast amounts of data as an input. We have vast amounts of data.
Based on your experience with risk data, in what areas are you seeing the most dramatic increases in risk – and can you speculate on why – climate change, overbuilding, loss of wetlands, etc.?
When you look at the data -- and we do all day, and sometimes all night -- there are some noticeable trends. Storms are getting stronger. Hurricanes are not only stronger, but slower. Tornadoes are moving eastward. And there seem to be a lot more events. To the last point, I think the number of events seems to be increasing because our ability to report on them is better. We have more sensors, Doppler radar, and cell phones to capture events. We’re working on a sea level rise model, so we do believe that climate change is having an effect. A recent hurricane had winds over 180 mph. It was only a Category 5 storm because the scale stops at 5. Places flood because of overbuilding, both at the location of the overbuilding and further downstream. Part of the genesis for HazardHub came when Bob’s mother-in-law’s house flooded. She wasn’t in a flood zone, but she was close to one, and nobody ever told her. At HazardHub, we want everyone to know what hazards, natural and manmade, they’re exposed to.
I took HazardHub’s free property risk analysis and was immediately terrified! Any advice for homeowners to mitigate risk in the areas where they live?
It’s great to see that you went to www.freehomerisk.com and ran a FreeHomeRisk report. The first piece of advice I’d give you, you’ve already done. You’ve run the report, so you know what to mitigate for. On the report we provide a high-level summary of the data behind our models. Our customers get all of the data that goes into our models as we don’t believe in the black-box approach, but that would be too overwhelming for the consumer. Once someone knows what to be prepared for, they know how to mitigate. As you mentioned, I live in California, land of earthquakes and wildfires. At my house, water heaters are strapped to the wall, big furniture is properly secured, there are no open eaves, there are 100 feet of defensible space, double baffle vents -- we’re mitigated. Can bad things still happen? Sure. But they will be less bad at my address. The other aspect is that once you know what can happen, you know how to properly insure for it. A growing number of our customers use our data to help educate their customers on the types of coverage they really do need.
You’re also involved in Fun Cars of San Diego, a car dealership specializing in the purchase and sale of contemporary and classic collector cars. Please tell us a bit about it.
Everybody needs a hobby; mine happens to be as a licensed car dealer in California. The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. From Mini-Motorifics, to Hot Wheels, to AFX slot cars, to a driver’s license, I’ve always liked cars. Fun Cars focuses on fun cars (just like HazardHub focuses on hazards). It has allowed me to experience a lot of cars and then send them on to permanent owners. I refer to it as car dating. It’s taken a significant back burner to HazardHub over the past five years, but I still get to do three or four cars a year. At Fun Cars we believe that life is too short to drive boring cars.
Prior to starting Fun Cars, my family and I had to evacuate from the 2007 Witch Creek fire; flames came within 1,000 feet of our home. At that time, we had three cars and two drivers. Which car stayed home? The most expensive one we owned, because it had two seats, a convertible top, and couldn’t carry anything. Hazard data isn’t just for homeowners any more.
- Your Insurtech Investment: Making the Most of the Software You Already Have
- Electronic Chat with Sanjeev Kumar Chaudhry, Founder and CEO, Gigaforce
- Electronic Chat with Sylvester Mathis, Chief Insurance Officer, Insurity
- Inside the ITA: Meet the Board
- Digital Drip: New Lease on Life
- Transformation Corner: Core System Transformation
- Big Fix: Closing the Data Divide
- Tech, Processes, and a Plan
- Core Systems: Out with the Old?
- 5 Things to Consider When Modernizing a Surety System
- Four Benefits of Integrating Mobile Crash Detection and Accident Management
- Everybody Loves Gelato
- Electronic Chat with Jennifer Smith, VP of L&A Product Strategy, Sapiens North America
- Now Accepting Nominations for "Pick of the Litter" Issue
- “New Normal” Requires an Insurance Analytics Evolution
- Accuracy: Are Data Providers Pulling the Wool Over Your Eyes?
- Agents Send More Business to Insurers with Better Tech, Celent Finds
- Electronic Chat with B2Z Insurance
- Still Standing, Still Learning, and Still at Home
- ITA Pro Magazine, May/June 2021
- Electronic Chat with Chris Ewing, Founder and CEO, One Inc
- Electronic Chat with Sharmila Ray, Head of Carrier Strategy, Solutions and Go-To-Market, Vertafore
- Electronic Chat with Alex Devoto, Founder, LVLFi
- Prince Charles, Lloyd's Launch Sustainability Insurance Task Force
- UFCIC Becomes First U.S. Insurer to Accept Cryptocurrency for Premium Payments
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Co-Founder, Openly Insurance
- The Insurance Industry’s Reliance on Friction: A Good Strategy?
- Loss Control, Premium Audit Systems Critical to Customer Experience, Celent Finds
- What's AI-Right and AI-Wrong?
- The Drive for Digital
- Electronic Chat with Candice Smith, Founder and CEO, Caregiven
- Electronic Chat with Nestor Hugo Solari, Founder/CEO, Sigo
- The Giant Hole in Actuarial Models
- Electronic Chat with Trent Cooksley, COO and Co-Founder, Cowbell Cyber
- The ITA Pro March/April 2021 issue is here!
- Purchasing and Innovation: Friends or Enemies?
- COVID Drives More Reliance on Risk Management Systems, New Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Robert Clark, CEO, Cloverleaf Analytics
- Solving Customer Communications Challenges with Hybrid Mail
- Six Trends Shaping Digital Insurance Tech Strategies in 2021
- Billing a Key Component of Customer Service, Celent Finds
- Why Data Science Fails
- Electronic Chat with Andrew Jernigan, CEO, and Allen Koski, President and Chief Innovation Officer, Insured Nomads
- Electronic Chat with Allison Martin, CEO and Founder, UDoTest
- Are Carriers Ready for the Coming Crash?
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Moore, Director for North American Sales Engineering and Solutions, Trifacta
- Next Insurance Partners with Amazon Business Prime to Provide Small Businesses with Affordable Digital Insurance Options
- An AI Walks Into an Electronics Store...
- InsurTech NY Announces Global Early-Stage Competition Winners
- World’s Worst County/Western Insurtech Song
- Electronic Chat with Anne-Laure Klein, COO, Akur8
- COVID-19 One Year Later: The Digital Transformation of Insurance
- Electronic Chat with Michael Kassing, CEO/CVO, insured.io
- BrokerTech Ventures Announces 2021 Cohort Class for Accelerator
- An Entirely Preventable Disaster
- Flipping the Fraud Triangle
- The January/February ITA Pro Magazine is here!
- Credit Risk, ESG, Cybersecurity Top Risk Concerns for Financial Institutions, Deloitte Finds
- Electronic Chat with Ellen Moser, Senior Client Executive, Origami Risk LLC
- The Answer to “So What?”
- Leaders Rise from a Year Like No Other!
- Electronic Chat with Jonathan Roomer, Co-Founder, YuLife
- Getting Creative to Hit COVID Curveballs Out of the Park
- Electronic Chat with Eugenio Gonzalez, Plug and Play
- New Report Projects Global Insurtech to Grow by $21 Billion During 2020-2024
- The 2020 Virtual Event Wasteland
- Insurtechs, Investors Optimistic About Post-COVID Future, New DIA/McKinsey Study Finds
- Finding Grandmas
- No Code / Low Code: The New “Shortest Route” In Insurance Delivery
- Are You Addicted to Copy-and-Paste?
- Electronic Chat with Nino Tarantino, CEO- Americas, Insurance and Mobility Solutions (IMS)
- Driving Life Insurance:Tech Alone Won’t Solve Business Problems
- Electronic Chat with Robin Roberson, Managing Director, North America, Claim Central Consolidated
- How Do You Make It Happen?
- Electronic Chat with Jason Liu, CEO, Zywave
- New Partnership Models Take Program Business to the Next Level
- New Study Finds Less than Half of Consumers Trust Insurers to Respond to Their Needs
- Electronic Chat with Andrew Mauritzen, CFO and Head of Insurance Industry, Exactuals
- You Want Us To Do WHAT For Free?
- Electronic Chat with Evgeny Aleksandrov, Co-founder and CEO, Pilotbird
- Electronic Chat with Chris Cheatham, CEO, RiskGenius
- New MIT Sloan Study Finds Few Companies Gain Big Benefits from AI
- The September/October ITA Pro magazine is here!
- “Being Right” is Just the Start of the Battle
- Electronic Chat with Amit Ranjan, Executive VP and CAO, Xceedance
- Planning for Your Business and Tech Future: Strategies, Plans and Budgets for Rapid Transformation
- Electronic Chat with Jimmy Padia, Founder and CEO, Floatbot
- Gelato with Dots and Sprinkles
- COVID-19 and the Insurtech “Junk Drawer”
- Even “Change” is Different Now. Your Strategic Planning Needs to Be Too.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Arturo Hires New General Counsel
- Zurich NA Adds Chisel AI for Underwriting
- Insurity Acquires AuSuM Systems
- Method Insurance to Streamline Underwriting with Origami Risk
- BrokerTech Ventures Launches BTV LATAM Partnership, Adds UNICO Group as Broker Partner
- Roost Rolls Out White-Label Home Security Solution
- Norway’s Gjensidige Pensjonsforsikring Selects Sapiens Digital Solution
- Insurium Names Insurtech Veteran Jeremy Williams CEO
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Successful implementation requires balancing operational and emotional issues... READ MORE
- Vendor Views